This Girl From Alabama Got Her Head Stuck Inside Giant Barney Head, And She Probably (Not Really) Almost Died

When you are a 15-year-old kid on summer vacation, every idea that pops inside your brain sounds like a brilliant one. I remember when I was 14-years-old, I put a raw egg inside the microwave with a crushed up Hot Pocket just to see what would happen.

And you can bet if I had a giant Barney head chillin’ inside my home, I would have put that thing on and danced around the neighborhood singing, “I love you. You love me…”

So I can’t really blame 15-year-old Darby Risner for putting on a Barney head and attempting to scare her friends with it during a sleepover. It probably seemed like the best idea ever to her at the time, but that changed quickly when the head dropped down past her neck.

The head was closing in on me. It was like a stuck-in-a-small-place-and-can’t-get-out-panicking,” Darby told


She couldn’t get the freaking thing off. It continued to move down her body, which made the situation even more hilarious to her friends because it gave her tiny dinosaur arms. Her mother explained the situation in detail, and admitted to putting Vaseline on her daughter’s arms in an attempt to slide it off her body.

“When they finally came down, she got up and realized it had dropped so low, she couldn’t get it off. It was digging into her. It gave her short little Barney arms since it was nearly at her elbows. It was hilarious. She couldn’t see, so they had to guide her.”

Over 30 minutes later, they still couldn’t get it off, and Darby was starting to feel extremely hot and sick inside the head. Her mother decided to call the fire department, and instead of waking up the entire neighborhood with lights and sirens, the firefighters suggested they should just drive up to the station.


And that’s exactly what they did. They all piled inside a minivan and took a short trip to the station. When they arrived, Trussville Fire Lt. Vince Bruno couldn’t stop himself from giggling…

“When they walked in, you couldn’t help but start laughing. We tried to be professional, and she was a little distraught, but we had to giggle about it.”

After the firefighters tried (and failed) to pull the head off Darby, they decided cutting it off was the only option. “It was such a relief. I have laughed about it.” Darby told reporters.

We have laughed about it too.


Images via: