I’ve long held the belief that as the dominant species on this planet, human beings have done more harm than good. Oh, we’ve certainly done some wondrous things, but meanwhile, we’ve caused entire species to become endangered or extinct, and we’ve taken away a lot of what makes Earth so beautiful. Well, sometimes, if it gets the chance, Mother Nature takes back what is rightfully hers. Nature isn’t going to give up the fight for the planet – ever.
The scientist Neil DeGrasse Tyson once said that climate change won’t destroy the planet. It will destroy us. He pointed out that Earth would survive but we wouldn’t. I think this amazing collection of photos proves him right. Enjoy!
1. A Sneaker Was Overtaken by Nature
The question is: where is the other one???
2. This Road Washed Out by Flood Waters in Washington State
Yeah, water doesn’t stop for much of anything.
3. A Tree Grows Nearly Completely Around a Sign
This tree is laughing in the face of whatever rules mankind decided to post.
4. Moss Growing Inside a Busted Bicycle Seat
This is oddly satisfying.
5. Stone Cottage in Sneem/Kanmare, Ireland
I love that Mother Nature has reclaimed a lot of these things, but I confess, I would have loved to live in this stone cottage. So adorable.
6. A Japanese Shrine Reclaimed by Nature
It looks like the little guys all grew lots of green hair and need a shave.
7. Meanwhile, Somewhere in China
Is it a train? Who besides me would love love love to go inside there. It looks so mysterious.
8. Car Covered in Ivy in Bejing
Why just this one car? This shows what happens if you park in the same place and leave your car there for too long.
9. This Tree Is Overtaking a Street Sign
Most gorgeous topiary ever.
10. Tree Growing Through a Speed Limit Sign
This is just cute. You go, brave little tree!
11. Why Just this One House?
It seems that the neighbors would have complained to the city long before things reached this point.
12. Abandoned House in Norway
This is eerily beautiful.
13. Moss Covered Van
I love moss. I also love cute little vans.
14. Mushrooms Grow Through This House’s Floor
I have seen this happen!
15. Mangrove Forest Reclaiming a Statue of Buddha
I think Buddha would approve of this, totally.
16. This Tree that Refused to Heed the Stop Sign
Stop sign? What stop sign?
17. In a Former Fishing Village in Kirovsky, Russia, the Sea is Claiming an Apartment Building
There is no force on this planet greater than the force of the sea.
18. This Tree Decided to Consume the Railing on this Bridge.
The googly eyes are a cool human touch.
19. A Tree Growing Inside of a Chimney that Has Been Abandoned
20. Ivy Reclaims this Bicycle
I have questions about this. How could a bike sit for so long in such a busy place and be reclaimed by nature?
21. Ivy on this Abandoned Escalator
This is beautiful. Just beautiful.
22. Mother Nature Claimed this Roller Coaster
Perhaps the most terrifying roller coaster ever.
23. A Cactus Growing Inside a Rain Gutter
This is one hardy plant.
24. Piano Claimed by Mother Nature
This is gorgeous. I would never move it.
25. Abandoned Railway in Paris
Of course, this is in Paris. Beautiful.
26. A Tree Swallows a Bicycle
What does nature have against bicycles?
27. Fish Taking Over Abandoned Shopping Malls in Bangkok
Who knew in the 1980s that all of the shopping malls would end up like this? Yikes.
28. Nature Overtakes Abandoned Ferris Wheel
There’s just something unsettling about abandoned amusement parks and carnival rides. What is it?
29. An Automobile Graveyard in Belgium
This is oddly beautiful for some reason.
30. This Tree’s Roots Overcome a Brick Sidewalk
Wow, this is beautiful.
31. An Old Pipe Claimed by Some San Francisco Cliffs
This is gorgeous.
32. Sculpture of Jesus at an Abandoned Polish Cemetery Gets Absorbed Slowly by a Tree
I think Jesus would be totally OK with this.
33. A tiny forest inside this car’s headlight.
WOW. That is all.
34. Whatever Is Happening Here in Angkor, Cambodia
No idea what this place is, but it belongs to the trees now. Yikes. Mother Nature is a glorious beast.
35. Chinese Fishing Village Abandoned in the 1990s in Houtouwan, China
And last but absolutely not least. This. I love it.
Dear Mother Nature: You go, girl.